Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Saintly Connection

This is Sainte Tulle, patron saint of the tiny Luberon village of Cucuron. I took this photo in April 2007 when I visited the village and its 14th century church, Eglise Notre-Dame-de-Beaulieu. When I returned home, I searched in vain on every Catholic saint website I could find, trying to learn more about Ste. Tulle. She simply doesn't exist--officially--anywhere. But to the villagers of Cucuron, she is their patron saint who saved their village from the plague that ravaged the Luberon in 1720. I remembered her this evening at church when Elizabeth spoke of forgotten saints in reference to Matthias, the man chosen as an apostle to replace Judas. In researching her once again on the Internet to write tonight's blog entry at Dona Nobis Pacem, I was startled to see that today, May 23rd, is the day of her festival in Cucuron. Ste. Tulle seems to be speaking to me across the centuries...what is the connection I'm supposed to make of this? It's a mystery...and a fun one!

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin